What certification do gas boilers need?

For most businesses their heating system is an integral part of the day to day operations and can be the backbone of the services they offer. Despite this importance they can also be one of the most dangerous components of a property if not properly installed and maintained. If a gas heating system isn’t installed or maintained to the regulated standards it can lead to many dangerous complications such as carbon monoxide poisoning, fires and explosions. As a result it is essential to have the correct certification in place to be certain a gas heating system doesn’t pose a potential hazard to anyone inside and around a property.

Due to the expansive nature of gas appliances and the wide variety of property types, there are also many different types of certification obtainable for a gas heating system. This can often create confusion due to convoluted information about what is a legal requirement and what isn’t. Luckily the Gas Safe Register (the governing body of gas appliances in the United Kingdom) details which certifications are required by law; these are the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate and a Gas Safety Records.

What is a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate and how do I get one?

A Building Regulations Certificate is the official paperwork needed to ensure that a property which has had a gas boiler installed is in line with the current building regulations and is safe to inhabit. Every time a gas-fired heat producing appliance is installed at a property (e.g. a gas boiler system, a gas fire, warm air heater) the relevant local authority needs to be notified within 30 days and in return you will receive your Building Regulations Certificate.

To obtain a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate first you will have to verify that the gas engineer conducting the work  is qualified to the correct level to work on the equipment in question and is a part of the Gas Safe Register. To check this you can ask the engineer to see their Gas Safety ID card and then check the displayed Gas Safety number on this website (www.gassaferegister.co.uk). The Gas Safe Register website will be able to confirm the identity of your engineer, who they work for and the level they are qualified to which is relevant to which types of gas fired equipment they are legally allowed to work with. Once your engineer has been verified they are free to carry on with the installation.

After the appliance is installed the engineer should notify the Gas Safe Register about the details of the installation and how it meets the regulated industry standards. The Gas Safe Register will then contact the local authorities for you and give them this information, you will then receive your Building Regulations Certificate within 10 – 15 days. This needs to be done within 30 days of the installation and if there is ever any doubt this has been done you can contact the Gas Safe Register to check the engineer has notified them. You will need the Building Regulations Compliance certificate in the event of selling or remortgaging your property so make sure to keep it safe. In the event it is ever lost you can contact the Gas Safe Register for a replacement copy.

building regs certificate

What is a Gas Safety Record and when do I need it done?

A Gas Safety Record is a record and safety inspection of all gas appliances on your property to ensure they are installed and maintained to a non-hazardous standard. This is mainly applicable to commercial properties and landlords as they are legally obliged to update their Gas Safety Record annually. Other circumstances that require an update to the record are when an issue has been reported with gas related equipment and the gas was shut off as a result, and also when you are selling / remortgaging a domestic or commercial property. If you are a landlord you will need to provide the Gas Safety Record to tenants within 28 days in relation to the start of their tenancy contract.

When you receive your Gas Safety Record it should have a list of all the gas appliances on your property alongside their location on the property. A variety of operational safety checks should be carried out, the range of these checks will vary depending on what equipment is installed on your property. The engineer updating your Gas Safety record should also note any defects that could have safety implications and also the actions that were taken or need to be taken to address the matters. A tightness test will also be performed on your whole system to make sure the pipes as well as the boiler are holding pressure and show no signs of leaks. We recommend always checking that your engineer is a member of the Gas Safe Register and are qualified to perform the testing relevant to your property and Gas Safety Record. The details of how to check this are given above under the Building Regulations Certificate section.

Gas Safety Registration Card

So why all the others?

Now you are probably wondering why there are so many other types of certification when the Gas Safety Record and Building Regulations Certificate are the only ones required by law? The reason for this is because they are either a part of the previous governing body on gas appliances (CORGI) or are certificates for service checks that act as your Gas Safety Record. CORGI was the organisation that used to regulate all gas installations and safety checks before the Gas Safe Register, they are still operational and offer a variety of certificates but these are no longer a legal requirement. You will often see the term CP12 or CP17 in relation to your Gas Safety Record, these specific certificates are not legally required but they can be given as a valid update to your Gas Safety Record. There are many bodies that offer these certificates as they will offer and perform a service check noting all the relevant details needed for your Gas Safety Record.  This is what creates the confusion amongst gas safety certificates as people will assume they are legal requirements for different situations. Actually these are just certificates that detail the information needed for your Gas Safety Record and are offered by a multitude of different bodies; all are accepted as long as they detail the information needed for your properties specifications.

The benefit of our hire service:

If you are someone that just wants peace of mind knowing that all the correct certification and safety checks are done automatically for them, then a CBH hire boiler is the solution for you! Any client that has a CBH hire boiler can rest easy knowing that all of our appliances are Gas Safe certified and will not need a Building Regulations Certificate as they will be classed as a temporary structure for up to 5 years. We can also contact you annually at your request to perform a gas safety inspection and a boiler service. Any engineer that arrives to perform these checks on your property will always be a member of the Gas Safe Register and will have the correct qualifications to work on your hire system. Get in touch today by calling 0207 9989 005 to cut out the stress and worry that commonly arises with annual inspections and required certification.

gas safety register